Russian women poised for tradition Grand Prix figure skating sweep

the capital:Russia are poised for an unmatched womens sweep at the ISU Grand Prix figure skating final after Elizaveta Tuktamysheva lead hot russian girls the short programme ahead of countrywomen Julia Lipnitskaya and Elena Radionova in Barcelona.

No region has ever swept the womens final, although the Russian men achieved the feat in St Petersburg in 1998 in a team that included three former Olympic champions Alexei Yagudin, Alexei Urmanov and as a consequence Yevgeny Plushenko.

"We have had great competition in our country for many, many years. This spurs on progress and makes figure skating effective and more robust, Said 17 year old Tuktamysheva ahead of Saturdays free skating final.

Russia have reemerged as a skating power in the womens field after a lull after the retirement of Irina Slutskaya in 2006, But have come back strong with Adelina Sotnikova winning the Olympic gold.

"in those days (2006) Id just moved to employ Alexei Nikolaevich (Mishin) And started use triples, told me Tuktamysheva.

"He decided to send me to the Russian Nationals and I was the only girl doing all the triple jumps so everyone was in presence of it.

"The still it was me and Adelina Sotnikova doing the same, And at 12 years old we were in second and third place.

"That made ladies skating better and pushed it one stage further. After that all the girls were commencing to do triple triples to catch up,

Tuktamysheva have scored 67.52 points for her skate to Ravels Bolero in Barcelonas International Conventions Centre on Thursday night including a triple toe triple toe combination, to lead world silver medallist Lipnitskaya (66.24), And two time world junior champion Radionova (63.89) Who fell on a multi loop. "Weve got lots of Russians in all procedures; Dance and pairs too. Its as well as ladies, reported 16 year old Lipnitskaya, A team Olympic gold medallist with italy in Sochi.

"Its merely the boys lagging behind. Hopefully they catch up soon, the lady giggled, As 15 yr old Radionova added: "Not the whole lot goes ideally. Life is full of ups and downs and if we can call it a fall in Russian ladies skating then it was only the start of a rise later,

Russias anna Pogorilaya, 16, left fourth (61.34) Ahead of Japans 18 years old Rika Hongo (61.10) With 23 year old American Ashley Wagner in the sixth and final spot (60.24) After stepping out of her opening triple triple formula.

"during the warm up I was very nervous and worried if I could skate well today, exclaimed Hongo, Who got her invest her first Grand Prix final after Gracie Gold withdrew injured.

"Skating with the top skaters makes me feel happy, So this led to an individual best. And I was helped by the support and applause of japan fans, She being said.

Wagner added an additional: "These younger girls are so strong technically and Ive got them on the second mark but Ive got to offer the triple triple to get to them,

the ussr, Who weren't on the mens podium in a decade, Have two opposing team Maxim Kovtum and Sergei Voronov in the mens competition which gets underway on Friday evening with Olympic and world champion Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan bidding to defend his title in a field that also includes Spanish hope Javier Fernandez, together with Japans Tatsuki Machida since Takahito Mura.
Please log in to post a reply.